The four original schools that comprised Boylan-Haven-Mather Academy (BHMA) from 1959 to 1983 were founded and operated by the Women's Home Missionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church, North in the late 1800's and early 1900's to educate children of the formerly enslaved.
Founded by Mrs. S. M. Lewis and Mrs. M. C. Bristol,
Named for Bishop Gilbert Haven
Founded by Sarah Babcock, Named for Rev. James Mather,
The other three schools eventually merged in Camden to become BHMA.